Welcome to Eltham
Our area guide for living in Eltham, including New Eltham and Kidbrooke, offers a brief overview of the town and its attractions, properties, schools, history, council tax and public transport links.
It’s all change in Eltham as a £6.5 million revitalisation continues to deliver an improved High Street. A multi-screen cinema and sky bar complex is set to add a new leisure dimension, joining an already buzzy bar and restaurant scene. Eltham’s past, however, is just as bright as its future, spearheaded by Eltham Palace and the Tudor Barn.
Eltham is one of the largest suburban towns in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, bordered by Mottingham, Horn Park, Blackfen and Shooter’s Hill. New Eltham is Eltham’s largely suburban sister, while Kidbrooke to the north east is a hive of regeneration activity. The boutiques of Blackheath are only 10 minutes away by car, while Bluewater is less than half an hour along the A2.
The BIG 3:
- Stations at Eltham, New Eltham, Kidbrooke, Mottingham, Elmstead Woods and Falconwood
- Trains to Lewisham (for the DLR), London Bridge, Waterloo East, Cannon Street, Charing Cross and Victoria
- Road connections to A2, South Circular and A20
- Direct bus route to North Greenwich (for the Jubilee Tube line and the O2 Arena
There’s no shortage of good educational establishments in Eltham and the surrounding areas, including the esteemed Eltham College and St. Olave’s Prep School. There’s a ‘find-a-school’ facility on every one of our online property listings, where you can filter schools by age, type and Ofsted rating.
The jewel in the crown is Eltham Palace and Gardens – a 1930s Art Deco masterpiece set next to the remains of the original Eltham Palace, the childhood home of Henry VIII. Eltham High Street is the place to sip coffee by day and cocktails by night. Away from Eltham’s main thoroughfare, explore The Bob Hope Theatre, the Royal Blackheath Golf Club, Oxleas Woods and Well Hall Pleasaunce. Kidbrooke Village centre promises to be a new leisure destination, with cafés, restaurants and shopping facilities.
Food & Drink
Our Eltham staff recommend:
- Legends American Bar & Grill, for big burgers and cocktails
- Eltham GPO, the town’s leading gastropub
- Eltham Terrace Club, for bar games and pool
- Rixos Bar & Grill, for group nights out
- The Tudor Barn, for modern British cuisine
- The Rusty Bucket, for craft beers
The grandest Victorian and Edwardian villas sit comfortably next to shiny new apartments. The Progress Estate is home to character cottages while sought-after Corbett-built homes can be found on the Eltham Park Estate. The Berkeley Homes-built Kidbrooke Village is divided into four residential quarters: City Point, Blackheath Quarter, Kidbrooke Village Centre and Meridian Gate, which all delivering brand new living.
For a FREE valuation or general advice contact your local branch today.