Welcome to Plumstead & Woolwich
Our area guide for living in Plumstead and Woolwich offers a brief overview of the towns and their attractions, properties, schools, history, council tax and public transport links.
Plumstead & Woolwich snapshot
Plumstead and Woolwich are at the forefront of south east London’s revival, with ongoing regeneration, a Crossrail station and a strong community spirit creating an unmistakable buzz. What’s more, there’s a collective determination to revitalise the social scene, with street food markets, independent restaurants and quirky chains moving in.
Plumstead & Woolwich: where?
Set with the River Thames as a backdrop, Plumstead and Woolwich are located in the Royal Borough of Greenwich. To the west lies Blackheath, with Eltham to the south and Bexleyheath to the east. Shooters Hill is a Plumstead offshoot – sitting at one of the highest points in the capital.
The BIG 3:
- Crossrail (coming soon) and DLR stations at Woolwich
- Mainline stations at Plumstead and Woolwich, with services to London Bridge, Waterloo East, Charing Cross and Cannon Street
- Free Woolwich Ferry for East London and City Airport
Plumstead and Woolwich are densely populated areas so there’s no shortage of schools, as well as a large presence from the University of Greenwich. There’s a ‘find-a-school’ facility on every one of our online property listings, where you can filter schools by age, type and Ofsted rating.
Plumstead High Street is a melting pot of cultures, nationalities and food outlets, while Woolwich High Street is a revived retail destination. Hustle and bustle is balanced out by Plumstead Common, Woolwich Common, Oxleas Woods and Shrewsbury Park – green open spaces that host everything from headline events to family picnics. Visit Royal Arsenal Riverside for towpath walks and Firepower – an interactive museum dedicated to war history.
Food & Drink
Our Plumstead staff recommend:
- The Plumstead Pantry, for seasonal food and cocktails
- Public, the street food stadium in Woolwich
- The Star pub, recently take over by Dirty Liquor
- The Taproom in Woolwich, for craft drinks and sourdough pizzas
- Dial Arch, a Young’s pub and restaurant in Royal Arsenal
- Woolwich Equitable, for live events and European dining
Plumstead & Woolwich property
Plumstead and Woolwich boast varied housing options, from affordable flats and maisonettes, two up, two down period-built properties, up market riverside apartments, and more substantial family properties around Plumstead Common and Shooters Hill. Woolwich is the place to head for converted, historic apartments and new builds, with Royal Arsenal Riverside a good place to start.
For a FREE valuation or general advice contact your local branch today.