Welcome to Strood
Our area guide for living in Strood offers a brief overview of the town and its attractions, properties, schools, history, council tax and public transport links.
Stand by for something different in Strood, as a £1 billion 20-year redevelopment programme takes effect. The vision is for a healthy and vibrant town, with the creation of over 16,000 new homes and 40,000 jobs. The masterplan will capitalise on Strood’s stunning waterfront location and excellent transport links.
Strood lies on the South west bank of the River Medway, looking over the water to Rochester. To the South lies Higham and to the West is Meopham, with the smaller Strood enclaves of Upnor, High Halstow, Cooling, Hoo and Wainscott making up a charming Medway villages and area.
The BIG 3:
- Mainline train station on the high speed line (HS1) to St Pancras via Ebbsfleet International
- Additional rail services to Charing Cross, Victoria, Bromley South, Canterbury and Margate
- Kings Ferry coach service to Central London
- Easy access to A2/M2, the A229 and the M20
While the selection of primary and secondary schools in Strood is small, families are within easy reach of excellent facilities in neighbouring Medway towns. There’s a ‘find-a-school’ facility on every one of our online property listings, where you can filter schools by age, type and Ofsted rating.
Visit The Medway Valley Park on the outskirts of Strood for restaurants, a Premier Inn hotel, a cinema, a bingo hall, a bowling alley and a private gym. Don’t overlook Temple Manor – built in the 13th century by the Knights Templar and now under the guardianship of English Heritage. Shorne country park offers great family and dog friendly walks with facilities.
Food & Drink
Our Strood staff recommend:
- Chiquito, for a Mexican menu
- Naz’s Rasoi, for the best curries
- The Pier for drinks with views
- The King’s Arms, for beer festivals
- The Red Dog, for specialty pie nights
- 10:50 from Victoria, a cozy micropub
- The Riverside Tavern, for the best choice of burgers
Strood has a large mix of properties, ranging from Flats and small terraced houses to large detached homes. Additionally, there are many new developments being built in Strood and the surrounding areas. Desirable roads include Brompton Farm Road and Rede Court Road and Watling street. Strood’s more rural spots are home to some substantial properties, offering great accommodation with views over fields and farmland, whilst some have fantastic river views of either the Thames or Medway.
For a FREE valuation or general advice contact your local branch today.